Metairie Music Club Voice Competition
April 27, 2019 (tentative)
Location – St. Augustine Episcopal Church
Application Deadline: April 8, 2019
The Metairie Music Club will sponsor a Voice Competition in April 2019.
2018 Voice Competition Winners
Middle School Division (6th-8th Grades)
High School Division (9th-12th Grades)
1st Place ($100) – Jolie Sciortino, student of Bonnie Knowles
2nd Place ($50) – Thomas Sagona, student of Bonnie Knowles
3rd Place ($25) – Casen Guttuso, student of Megan Dearie
L-R: Voice Competition Winners High School Division (9-12th Grade): Casen Guttuso, Thomas Sagona and Jolie Sciortino;
Middle School Division (6-8th Grade): Mia DiGiovanni, Kate Tomeny, and Lillian Cazabon
Rules and Regulations:
1) Entrants must be current members of a Junior Club affiliated with the Metairie Music Club. They must be entered into the competition by a teacher who a) is a member in good standing of the Metairie Music Club; b) attends a meeting or participates in one club function prior to the competition; c) was a member of MMC during the year prior to competition.
2) The competition will be divided into two divisions:
Middle School Division – students in grades 6-8
High School Division – students in grades 9-12
3) Repertoire will consist of three memorized pieces. The entrant will choose one song to perform and the judges will choose a second.
Middle School: Difficulty level equal to Junior I or higher (consult NFMC bulletin for examples)
One Art Song in English
One Musical Theatre selection from any period
One selection from either genre but of different style or period (AS) or from a different show than the first piece (MT)
High School: Difficulty level equal to Senior I or higher (consult NFMC bulletin for examples)
One Art Song in English
One Musical Theatre selection (pre or post-1968)
One Art Song in a foreign language (no operatic arias) OR Musical Theatre selection from a different period than the first piece (pre or post-1968) and contrasting style
All selections should be age and gender-appropriate as well as suited to the student’s vocal and musical abilities
All repertoire is subject to review by the chairman prior to the competition.
4) First place winners may not compete again in the same division but may progress from the Middle to the High School Division.
5) Trophies will be given to the winners in addition to the following cash awards which will be provided by the Metairie Music Club:
1st Place – $200.00 in each division
2nd Place – $100.00 in each division
3rd Place – $50.00 in each division
6) Judges are not obligated to award any prizes and no awards will be given by default. Students will receive written comments from the judges and all decisions are final.
7) No music will be provided to the judges. Accompanists may use photocopied music only if an original score is available onsite.
8) No late entries will be accepted. No changes may be made to repertoire after an application has been submitted.
9) Application and Adjudication Form can be downloaded below and should be submitted by the teacher, not a student or parent.
10) Entry fee is $10.00 per student and is non-refundable.
11) For each student, please send the completed Application Form and two (2) copies of the completed Adjudication Form
along with a check payable to Metairie Music Club to:
Voice Competition Chairman
101 Homestead Avenue
Metairie, LA 70005
Email Chairman Bonnie Knowles if you have questions or need additional details.
2019 MMC Voice Competition Information:
Deadline to register: April 8, 2019
Competition Date: April 27, 2019
Location: St. Augustine Episcopal Church Metairie, Louisiana
Metairie Music Club
We encourage you to contact the Metairie Music Club with any questions.